About TDI-Brooks International
Scientific Services on a Global Basis
TDI-Brooks is a scientific data acquisition services company specializing in multi-disciplinary oceanographic projects; marine geochemical exploration for oil and gas; geotechnical and offshore survey projects, and high-end environmental chemistry for industry as well for as federal and state agencies. TDI-Brooks was formed in mid-1996 when our senior staff left management positions at a research center of Texas A&M University.
We started by developing our capabilities in the marine seabed geochemical exploration market, a market that we originated in the early 1980s while at the university. Most of our current industry revenue is geochemical, geotechnical, and environmental in nature, and comes from projects in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, and offshore Africa, South America Canada, Southeast Asia and the Mediterranean Sea. TDI-Brooks has federal projects from NOAA, US Fish & Wildlife Service, USEPA, USGS and BOEM. This is the premier coastal environmental monitoring program in the USA.
TDI-Brooks is also one of the US Fish and Wildlife Service’s three contract laboratories for trace organic residue analyses primarily in tissue samples. TDI-Brooks has also conducted projects for BOEM to study chemosynthetic communities at the seabed and to study deep-water corals at rigs, wrecks and reefs in the deep-water Gulf of Mexico.
We’re Experts in our Field
TDI-Brooks has a staff of nearly one-hundred individuals including fourteen Ph.D. level oceanographers, geochemists, biologists and geologists. Some of our senior staff continue to have academic appointments. About a third of the staff is part of our affiliated laboratory, B&B Labs.
The other staff are involved in our offshore research and survey operations. TDI-Brooks owns and operates multiuse research vessels — R/V Proteus and R/V Gyre. We have a fourth vessel, R/V Brooks McCall, on long-term bare-boat charter in the Gulf of Mexico. Our vessels are primarily engaged in geotechnical and geochemical coring and data acquisition, hazard surveys, environmental surveys, physical oceanography, heat flow, and high resolution site surveys for private and federal clients. All are specifically optimized for deepwater operations with high speed winches, A-frames, multiple heavy coring rigs, subbottom profilers, precise navigation and USBL systems, and other kits for our surveys. Gyre and Proteus are also outfitted for analog and HR site surveys along with multibeam acquisition.
Our mission is to safely deliver high-quality oceanographic services, including acquisition, sampling, analysis and scientific interpretation, to the marine environmental, geochemical, geotechnical and survey marketplace.
- We believe in pursuing true, systematic, effective safety, not pretend-safety.
- We believe in technical and business integrity.
- We believe in persevering until we deliver.
- We believe in delivering more value than our customer specifies.
- We believe in being relentless in our drive to improve.
- We believe in giving first and receiving later.
- We believe in treating our customers and suppliers as friends.
- We believe in treating our employees and business partners as family.
- We believe in honoring the commitments we make.
- We believe in showing good faith.
- We believe in having fun.
- We believe that our reputation is more valuable than our net worth.
At TDI-Brooks, we realize that the strength of our safety system is heavily dependent on our front line employees. That is why we have worked hard to establish a two way dialogue between upper management and the employees on deck. To improve communications and reinforce the importance of safety practices, the vessels are visited regularly by members of upper management, and most of our office employees are expected to work offshore each year. TDI-Brooks has developed Core Safety Training for all employees who work on our vessels, both vessel crew and technical party. This main training provides an introduction to our Safety Management System and safety processes. Our Safety Management System extends well beyond our written manual into all aspects of our operations, including our shore side and land based operations.
Our Behavior Based Safety system is integral to our key safety policies and procedures, such as permit to work procedures, mentors for short service employees, toolbox talks, job safety analysis, safety observation cards and weekly HSE special topic training. Each aspect emphasizes each employee’s right and obligation to participate in planning the work, complete the job safely, report any potential issues and STOP WORK if it is unsafe, regardless of their position or seniority.
Employees are encouraged to participate in their own safety through monthly Risk Reviews, the HSE comments section in the weekly reports, Master’s Reviews, safety observation cards and contributions to the monthly safety newsletter.
A summary of our HSE statistics are available for download here.
Clients & Partnerships
- Geoscience Australia (Australia)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Oil and Natural Gas Commission (India)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- U.S. Military Sealift Command (MSC)
- U.S. Mineral Management Service (MMS)
- U.S. National Institute of Health
- California Fish & Game
- Delaware River Basin Authority
- Orange County, California
- Rutgers University
- Texas A&M Research Foundation
- Texas A&M University
- University of Mississippi
- University of Utah, EGI
Private Clients - Oil Companies
Private Clients - Other
Acorn International, LLC
Acorn International delivers environmental and social risk management consulting to global industries and investors by partnering, directing and building capacity of local experts to promote local content and world-class quality assurance. The company operates not through a traditional consulting services model, but by providing structured tools and coordination to qualified host-country teams, maintaining a link with international clients and building capacity in the host-country team.
CB&I is a leading provider of technology and infrastructure for the energy industry. With over 125 years of experience and the expertise of more than 40,000 employees, CB&I provides reliable solutions to our customers around the world while maintaining a relentless focus on safety and an uncompromising standard of quality.
Geochemical Solutions International
GeoMark Research is the preeminent geochemical laboratory, providing petroleum fluid analyses to the petroleum industry and offering a full range of source rock, oil, and gas services. Through a combination of analytical services, regional petroleum system studies, and integrated database products, GeoMark provides a full complement of exploration and production services.
Geoscience Earth & Marine Services, Inc.
GEMS – Geoscience Earth and Marine Services
GEMS is a premier consulting company that specializes in marine geology/geophysics, geotechnical engineering, and marine archaeology.
Geotek specializes in high-resolution, non-destructive analysis of geological cores. We have supplied our range of Multi-Sensor Core Logger (MSCL) systems for over 20 years, using a suite of geophysical and geochemical sensors, providing equipment sales and services to science and industry worldwide. A team of talented individuals at Geotek design and build instruments while also offering core analysis consultancy field services (onshore or offshore) with an unmatched level of expertise and experience.
Geo Survey Systems
In addition to its 2D and 3D high resolution marine seismic services, GeoSurvey Systems also provides its clients with a variety of advanced hydrographic survey, data processing, interpretation, and general consulting services, specializing in the applications to open ocean marine geohazards investigations, river and lake water bottom characterization, coastal and intra-coastal delineation of submarine sediments.
Maxon Consulting, Inc. is a small woman-owned environmental and management consulting firm established in San Diego, California in 2004. They are a team of scientists and environmental consultants offering technically insightful solutions to difficult and often complex environmental and regulatory issues focused on coastal and offshore environments.
- Dr. James Brooks, President/CEO
- Dr. Bernie B. Bernard, Vice President/Chief Technology Officer
- Mr. Peter Tatro, Director of Operations
- Ms. Melissa Wood, Marketing and Business Development Manager
- Mr. Chris King, Secretary/Director of Information Technology
- Dr. James Howell, HSE Manager
- Ms. Shannon Smith, Vessel Systems Manager/Assistant HSE Manager
- Dr. Thomas J. McDonald, Senior Project Manager
- Mr. Brad Bernard, College Station Office Manager/Project Manager
- Dr. Gary Wolff, Data Manager
- Mrs. Gail Mills , Controller
- Mrs. Gina Harp, Assistant Controller
- Ms. Debbie Paul, Administrative Assistant
- Ms. Emily Evans, Administrative Assistant
*Field Staff Also
- Mr. Juan Ramirez, Environmental Lab Manager/Project Manager
- Mr. Nick Clark, PE, Geotechnical Lab Manager/Project Manager
- Mr. Mike Gaskins, Geochemical Lab Manager
- Dr. Les Bender, MetOcean Project Manager*
- Ms. Donell Frank, Quality Assurance Manager
- Dr. Hillary Agbo, Environmental Laboratory Analyst I*
- Mr. Chase Brewster, Laboratory Technician*
- Mr. Kurt Kibler, Laboratory Technician
- Ms. Yiwei Miao, Analytical Chemist
- Dr. Patricia Brooks, Analytical Chemist*
- Mr. Mark Garner, Instrumentation Engineer
- Mrs. Amanda Brewster, Sample Custodian
- Mr. Douglas Johnson, Radiation Safety Officer
- Mr. Daniel Brooks, Geologist, CPT Specialist, Project Manager
- Mr. James R. Brooks, Vessel Deck Chief
- Mrs. Megan Brooks, Field Logistics Coordinator
- Mr. Michael Kullman, GIS/Geophysical Survey Manager
- Dr. Roger Fay, Compliance Manager
- Mr. Charlie Emerson, Port Engineer
- Dr. Daniel Adkison, Field Operations Manager
- Mrs. Diana Solis Burton, MMO, Lab Technician
- Mr. Peter Hitchcock, Field Party Chief
- Mr. Andrew Howard, Field Party Chief
- Mr. Brion Dolan, Field Party Chief
- Mr. Chris Opel, Vessel Captain
- Mr. Mark Mitcheltree, Vessel Captain
- Mr. William Vuilleumier, Vessel Captain
- Mr. Joe Perez Jr., Vessel Chief Mate
- Mr. Brian Hillberry, Vessel Mate
- Ms. Sarah Bowman, Vessel Mate
*Field Staff Also
- Mr. Chris King, Secretary/Director of Information Technology
- Mr. Daniel Vitale, Senior Programmer/IT Engineer & Support, Navigator*
- Mr. William Lewright, Programmer/IT Engineer & Support, Navigator*
- Mr. Carl Perkins, Systems Administrator
- Mr. Daniel Grimes, Programmer/IT Engineer & Support, Navigator*
- Mr. Ron Yoakum, Facilities Manager
- Mr. Drew Gorney, Facilities
- Mr. Paul Gorner, Facilities
- Mr. Camerino Serrato, Facilities
- Mr. Jacob Olvera, Facilities
- Mr. Juan Nieto, Facilities
- Mr. Kurt Brandesky, Facilities
We have a number of our scientific publications available on our publications page. These articles are an excellent source of information about geotechnical, SGE, and heat flow studies, as well as a other related topics.
We have available